
There's a cute little park in the middle of San Jose where they always set
up holiday and special event stuff. Every December, they have a big Christmas display set up. It's really cute with lots of lit up trees that have
been decorated by various groups around San Jose: school classes, charities, families, businesses. They also have lots of sets and displays with holiday themes like Santa, snowmen, skating bears, ginger bread men, and giant presents. Across the street they have carnival rides, a huge ferris wheel, and even an ice skating rink where
you can skate in between the palm trees. In case you can't see the palm trees in the picture, they are the skinny sticks holding up the lights. I always thought it would be cool to ice skate in a place where tropical plants grew. All I know is...you don't have to get a pair of ice skates that are 2 sizes too big so that you can wear 3 pairs of socks so your feet won't freeze!There are also various fake snow machines that spew white flakes of soap all over. The kids dance around and yell, "Look mommy, snow!" I think it's hilarious, as
most of the kids have never seen
snow. Unless, of course their parents are rich and can afford ski lessons in Tahoe. That's one thing I miss during Christmas...snow. I don't know so much like the cold - San Jose weather is wonderful - but having no snow around the holidays is just plain weird. Good thing I get to go home for Christmas - I'm leaving this Friday (the 16th) and will be home for 2 weeks. :) Can't wait to see snow and especially my family and friends!

1 comment:
The one Christmas I spent in California (Orange) was very weird. The local mall paid for truck loads of snow to be brought in from the mountains. The snow was dumped into a big pile in the parking lot and the kids played in it while the parents shopped. That was in the mid-70s. Now, parents would never leave their children unattended! And the mall would not risk law suits filed by parents whose children slipped on the snow and bruised their elbows. Well, now I sound like an old foggey who says, "I remember when..."! Hope you're having fun with the family.
Post a Comment