Wednesday, September 13

Labor day weekend in Eugene, OR

Over the long Labor Day weekend, I took an extra day off on Friday and Scott and I drove up north to visit his brother Brian in Eugene, Oregon. I was so excited to visit Brian and his family because he is the only sibbling that I hadn't met yet. Scott has 2 brothers and one sister - his sister Jody lives in Helena and his brother Mark lives in Belgrade so I have had the chance to meet them.
The drive was pretty far, about 8 1/2 hours, but it was a nice drive and Oregon is really pretty. We drove past Mount Shasta, which I've never seen, and always has snow on it because the elevation (14,000 feet) is so high. Eugene is a nice town that reminds me of a cross between Missoula (lots of hippies) and Butte (lots of industrial areas for building and logging). Brian lives in a nice house with his unofficial wife Jenni, his son Travis and her daughter Kennedy. They are such a sweet family and we had lots of fun. Scott really had a lot of fun cuz Brian has lots of toys to play with...from remote controlled helicopters and cars (that he built) to stunt kites. Scott now wants a remote controlled car for Christmas - I told him we might have to wait for awhile as the nice ones are really expensive and we need to buy him a new digital camera for his thesis project first. He also wanted a stunt kite, but he now has one as Brian bought him one for his birthday. So now he's all excited to go to the beach and fly it, which should be no problem since it's always windy at the beach in SF. That wasn't the case in Oregon though. While we were there, we drove for a couple hours to the coast and went to their favorite beach to fly the kites and race the car around on the sand dunes. But alas, there was no frickin' wind! Who ever heard of such a thing? Beaches on the northern coast always have some wind....so it was eery that it was so calm. It was still fun though as we walked around the little beach town, had lunch and went into a few cute stores.
Other than the car ride home, which took 2 hours longer than the way up because of construction that wasn't going on but the roads were blocked off anyway (stupid state construction), it was a relaxing weekend. I'm so glad we got the chance to visit them before the wedding. I didn't want to have to introduce myself to his family at our own wedding. :) They were very sweet and hostpitable and can't wait to see them again. Enjoy the pics!

No comments: