
February 11, 2007...I officially started Taekwondo training with Scott as my instructor. He will eventually be opening his own Taekwondo school and I'm going to be his first official student until that happens. :) I'm not quite sure yet if I'll go all the way to getting my black belt, as my work schedule during busy season hardly allows any activities besides work, but I've always been interested in the art and discipline it takes to succeed. Plus it's a really great workout and strengthens muscles I didn't know I had...similar to yoga or pilates. Here's a picture of us in our gear at the apartment gym space after one of our recent sessions. I don't look very official because I just got the uniform (it's called a dobok). But we will be going to a national tournament soon and I will get some patches for my uniform then from Scott's Master from his school in Bozeman.
Just in case you're not familiar with this specific martial art, and here's a little more info that I found:
Taekwondo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Taekwondo (also spelled tae kwon do or taekwon-do) is a martial art originating in Korea. Having become one of the most widely practiced martial arts in the world, it is the national sport of Korea and one form of sparring, shihap kyeorugi, is an Olympic sporting event.
In Korean, derived from hanja, tae (跆) means to kick or strike with the foot"; kwon (拳) means "fist or to strike with the hand"; and do (道) means "way". Hence, taekwondo is loosely translated as "the way of the foot and hand". Taekwondo's popularity has resulted in the divergent evolution of the martial art. As with many other martial arts, taekwondo is a combination of combat technique, self-defense, sport, exercise, entertainment, and philosophy.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Taekwondo (also spelled tae kwon do or taekwon-do) is a martial art originating in Korea. Having become one of the most widely practiced martial arts in the world, it is the national sport of Korea and one form of sparring, shihap kyeorugi, is an Olympic sporting event.
In Korean, derived from hanja, tae (跆) means to kick or strike with the foot"; kwon (拳) means "fist or to strike with the hand"; and do (道) means "way". Hence, taekwondo is loosely translated as "the way of the foot and hand". Taekwondo's popularity has resulted in the divergent evolution of the martial art. As with many other martial arts, taekwondo is a combination of combat technique, self-defense, sport, exercise, entertainment, and philosophy.
Taekwondo is famed for its employment of kicking techniques, which distinguishes it from martial arts such as karate or certain southern styles of kung fu. The rationale is that the leg is the longest and strongest weapon a martial artist has, and kicks thus have the greatest potential to execute powerful strikes without retaliation successfully.
Taekwondo as a sport and exercise is popular with people of both sexes and of many ages. Physically, taekwondo develops strength, speed, balance, flexibility, and stamina. An example of the union of mental and physical discipline is the breaking of boards, which requires both physical mastery of the technique and the concentration to focus one's strength.
Taekwondo as a sport and exercise is popular with people of both sexes and of many ages. Physically, taekwondo develops strength, speed, balance, flexibility, and stamina. An example of the union of mental and physical discipline is the breaking of boards, which requires both physical mastery of the technique and the concentration to focus one's strength.

1 comment:
Aren't we adorable. For anyone who reads this, I want to let you know that Melissa is an extremely good student and a quick learner. In Bozeman, I was one of the private lessons instructors, which means I would spend at least a few sessions with new students before they could start an actual class. In essence, I prepared them. So, with the couple of years of experience from that, I have the experience of teaching and seeing the abilities of students. And let me tell you, Melissa is definately the best so far :) So, I am extremely excited to have you be my first student Melissa. I love you!
Post a Comment